[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Download AIA Bylaws Here
ASIAN INDIAN ALLIANCE
Name Asian Indian Alliance
To be the unified and effective voice of Asian Indians in the state of Ohio.
To encourage active participation in the political process by Asian Indians. To educate the Asian Indian community on issues of political, economic and social importance and articulate the views and issues concerning the Asian Indian community to the politicians. To encourage the upcoming generation to become involved in the political process. To create a strong political presence in the state of Ohio. To promote matters of importance to the Indian Community at Federal level. AIA will help all Asian Indians in obtaining official/un-official posts/positions in the state of Ohio-both members & non members. The members will be given preference.
- We must stay united and work collectively to maximize our potential achievements.
- Be committed to raise political funds for the leadership in Ohio and at Federal level.
- To create awareness and a transparent structure of the Alliance to encourage the involvement of everyone willing and desirous of promoting the organization.
- To promote matters of importance to the Indian Community in Ohio and at the Federal level.
- To promote a larger representation on Boards and Commissions in the state of Ohio.
- The Alliance will be a Bipartisan organization.
- To be an Incubator Political Organization in Ohio and a platform for younger Asian Indians with political ambition.
- Regular Member: Can attend all the meetings and can discuss & vote on all the issues.
- Youth Member: A Member who is under 35 or who graduated less than 2 years ago may qualify for Youth Membership. Youth Member pays 33% of the Regular Membership Dues.
Sec. b) Qualification:
- Candidate must be of Indian Origin or has ties to Indian Heritage.
- Non-Indian can be recommended on a case by case basis by the Executive Committee & approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Application is forwarded to the secretary of AIA for approval by the executive committee
- Members must try to attend at least 50% of the meetings of AIA.
Sec. c) Membership Dues:
- All membership dues to be paid by March 1 of that year.
- Membership dues recommended by the Executive Committee, and approved by a 60% Majority Vote of the Board of Trustees.
- If membership dues are not paid by March 1, a late charge of $25 will be levied which is increased to $50 after July 1
- A Member who has not paid his dues is not in Good Standing.
- A Member who has not attended 50% of the meetings is not in Good Standing.
- A Member who is convicted of a crime may lose his Good-standing.(Decided by the Executive Committee & approved by the BOT).
Sec. 1) Structure:
AIA is governed by /seven Board Of Trustees, Who represent the various Regions of the State of Ohio.
Sec. 2) Board of Trustees:
a) A Member of the Board Of Trustees (BOT) is elected for 6 years by the Membership of the Region.
b) A Member of the Board of Trustees is a Member in Good Standing and is actively involved with AIA at least for 4 years
c) Half of the Board of Trustees are elected every 3 years by their respective Regions.
d) The Chairperson of The Board of Trustees is selected by rotation from various Regions.
e) The Chairperson leads The Board Of Trustees for one year.
f) The President of AIA is an Ex‐officio Member of the BOT.
g) A Member of the BOT may be recalled by the Regional Membership or by the General Membership by 75% of Vote Of No Confidence.
h) The BOT oversee the finances of AIA.
i) The BOT also manage the Appeals Process.
j) The BOT also approve the Membership Dues which have been recommended by the Executive Committee.
k) The Decision of the BOT can be Over‐turned by 75% of the General Membership. l) If BOT loses his/her Good‐standing status, he/she automatically resigns from the BOT.
m) The BOT will not deny any reasonable request.
AIA is a free and open organization with open membership. It is necessary that there be a dedicated Leadership in every region to coordinate and lead the group activities. This Leadership, besides being committed with its time, must also be willing to commit to certain financial needs of the group, both in operating costs as well as direct or indirect fund raising activities for political candidates. The Leader of a Region from the Region is selected by the members of that Region. The Leader of a Region is tasked with increasing the Regional Membership’s involvement with AIA.
b) Representation to the Board of Trustees from the Regions:
0-8 Members 0 representation on the Board
9-24 Member 1 representation on the Board
Over 25 Members 2 representation on the Board
Sec. 4) Officers:
- The President is elected for 3 years and can be re-elected.
- The President shall serve as Chairperson of all General Body and Executive Committees Meetings.
- The President shall report to the General Body about the status of the Organization and shall be answerable to the Board of Trustees.
- The Vice-President is elected for 3 years term and can be re-elected.
- In the absence of the President, shall carry out the duties of the President.
- If the President resigns or is disabled then the Vice-President takes over till the next election cycle.
- The President may assign various responsibilities to the Vice-president.
- Secretary-Treasurer is elected for 3 years term and can be re-elected.
- Shall record/oversee minutes of all General Body and Executive Committee meetings.
- Responsible for communication and mailing for the Organization.
- With the Executive Director be responsible for day to day activities of the Organization under the guidance of the President and Vice-President.
- Shall be responsible for collection & disbursement of all the monies of the Organization.
- Shall be responsible for Record Keeping.
- Will help with the Annual Audit of the Organization by an Independent CPA.
4) Executive Director:
- The Executive Director is appointed by the President.
- Shall be responsible for running day to day activities of the Organization under the guidance of the President and Secretary-Treasurer
- Responsible for communication and mailing for the Organization.
e) The Officers:
The President, the Vice-president and the Secretary Treasurer shall be from three . different Regions of the State.
Sec 3) Committees:
The following committees will form the working structure of the Organization.
Nominating, Executive, Membership, Appointment, Bylaws, Grievance Committees.
a) Executive: This committee will consist of 7 Members.
- Three At-Large Members elected from General membership.(See Article VII-Sec 3h)
- One member appointed by the Board
- Preferably one member from each Region. No more than Two Members from the same Region.
No ex-officio members allowed on executive committee.
b) Membership Committee:
The Vice-President will be the Chairperson of the committee
- The Chairperson in consultation with the President appoints the Members to the committee preferably from various Regions.
- The Membership committee is charged with promoting the Membership of AIA.
c) Appointment Committee for Board & Commissions:
- This Committee consists of 7 Members which includes:
- The President of AIA.
- One of the Past Presidents of AIA. (Starting with Immediate Past President)
- Three member appointed by the BOT from different regions.
- One member appointed by the Executive Committee.
- One Member of AIA elected by the General Body for 3 years.
- The Chairperson is elected by the Committee Members.
- Attempt will be made that no two members are from the same Region.
- Attempt will be made to cover the various Regions of the State.
If there is conflict in this regard, the BOT decision will be final.
d) Nominating Committee:
- Consists of 3 Members as follows: All from different regions
- A Past President selected by the BOT who will Chair the Committee. If there is no Immediate Past-President then the Board of Trustees will pick a Past President.
- One member appointed by the BOT
- One member appointed by the Executive Committee.
- Nominating Committee members cannot be nominated for any available current position.
- The Committee is charged with nominating the Three At-large members to the Executive committee, and one member to the Appointment Committee and one member on the Bylaws Committee.
- The Committee is charged with nominating the slates of Officers (President, Vice President & Secretary-Treasurer) for election, from the current list of members in Good standing for the last three consecutive years . Three years list of Members in Good Standing will be available to the Nominating Committee & the Parliamentarian. The President & the Vice-President & Secretary-Treasurer shall be nominated as a slate.
- To be nominated, the member has to be in Good-Standing for 3 years.
- No Nomination (for any open Position for Election) from the floor. Any position open for Election can be Nominated by 10% of the General Membership in Good-standing. It will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee for its legality at least 2 weeks prior to Election.
- The Committee will confirm the Slate of Officers, and other positions nominated by the General Membership as per Article:VI, Sec.3-d
- The Members of AIA are encouraged to submit their nomination to this Committee, 4 weeks prior to the election.
- The Committee will meet not more than 2 weeks before the elections.
e) By-Laws Committee:
- Consists of three Members.
- One Member appointed by the President .
- One Member appointed by the BOT
- One Member elected by the General Body
- The Chair-person appointed by the President in consultation with the BOT
- The committee is charged with updating the By-laws.
- The Chairperson will be the Parliamentarian of AIA .
- The President will not be an Ex-Officio member of this committee.
- The Chairperson will be the Election Officer & Parliamentarian.
f) Grievance Committee:
- The Grievance Process is to be handled by the BOT.
- The grievances to be submitted to the Secretary of AIA in writing.
- Any Grievance is to be supported & signed by 10% of the members in Good-Standing.
g) Ad-Hoc Committee:
- Appointed by the President on as needed basis.
h) Audit: The president will appoint & arrange for an annual audit from an Independent CPA.
Sec. 1) Appointment Process for Board & Commissions:
The Appointment Committee is charged with selection of candidates.
a) The input from other Regional Members should be considered for any nomination.
b) Should be a Member in good standing for at least three years.
c) Input from the outgoing/previous member of the Board/Commission.
d) Should fulfill the requirement for the position.
e) No Member of the Appointment Committee will be allowed to vote on his/her own Nomination.
f) To screen the individual applicants and nominate the person most qualified for that particular position.
g) All applications sent to a Regional Member must be forwarded to the Chair of Appointments Committee, with a recommendation from the Regional Member. Also any Member can directly submit application to the Chair of the Appointment Committee.
h) Consideration for Re-nomination/extension of the term can be given under Unusual circumstances (To enhance community image, Under Unusual circumstances.) to the Board/Commissions. The recommendation from the President & the BOT and approved by 66.6% of the membership.
i) If an appointment to a position is less than half of the Normal Term then, the reappointment to that position is not considered as Re-nomination/extension. (Article VII-Sec 1-h)
Sec. 2) Appeal Process:
a) Any Decision of the Executive Committee can be appealed to the BOT.
b) 40% of the Members in Good Standing can appeal the decision to the BOT.
c) The appeal is handled by the Board of Trustees.
d) The appealing members are given “Hearing Opportunity”
e) The decision can be reversed/overturned by the Board of Trustees.
f) The decision of the BOT can be overturned by 75% of General Membership in Good-standing.
Sec. 3) Elections:
a) The Election Officer will be the Parliamentarian i.e. the Chairperson of the By-Laws Committee.
b) Elections period November 15 to January 30(of the following year).
c) Elections to be held every 3 year for all positions.
d) The Election of Board of Trustees will be held in staggered fashion by the regions.
e) Elections to be held by written secret ballots. new technology using secret ballots may be used when available.
f) Physical presence required for voting at the General Body Meetings.
g) Roberts Rules apply for Parliamentary Process.
h) All Nominated Members shall be Members in Good Standing for 3 years.
i) Quorum for election, committee meetings & General Body will be 50% of the Membership present.
j) If there are more than 2 candidates/Slates, the winning candidate/slate must get more than 50% of the votes casted. In case a candidate or slate of candidates do not get more than 50% of the casted votes, there will be runoff election between the top two candidates.
k) All members are encouraged to vote. Latest technology can be used for a any elections if approved by the BOT at least 6 weeks prior to the election.
l) Absentee Ballots are not encouraged. However in unusual circumstances (Out of Country, weddings, disabling health issues, family emergencies) the Absentee Ballots are allowed. The President/The Parliamentarian may grant permission to individuals for voting if they are absent. The Absentee Ballots must be requested at least one week ahead of the election day . The Absentee Ballots must be returned to the Election Officer (Parliamentarian) in sealed envelope prior to the election.
Sec. 4) Resignation/Removal of Officers/Vacancy created during Mid-election Cycle:
a) Any elected officers can be recalled by 75% of the membership in Good Standing.
b) If an elected officer cannot serve his/her position due to death, disability, election for that position will be held at the next Election Cycle.
c) An elected officer who is not in Good Standing, automatically resigns from his position.
d) The President in consultation with the Chair of the Board of Trustees will fill the vacant positions.
Sec. 5) Responsibilty:
- If appointed Member to the Board/Commission does not attend the required meetings of the Board/Commissions as determined by the Executive Committee, then the President of the Alliance will write a letter to the appointee in that regard asking for explanation remedy of the situation.
Sec. 6) Audit:
- An annual audit report will be presented by the treasurer at the annual meeting of the organization
Sec. 1) Fiscal Year:
- Jan. 1 to Dec. 31
Sec. 2) Meetings:
a) At least 2 per calendar year. The annual meeting before the end of fiscal year.
b) At least 2 week notice given.
c) All Members notified.
d) Location of Meeting will be decided by the President.
e) A Special Meeting can be called by 35% of the Members in Good Standing or 20 Members in Good Standing (Whichever is the Higher Number). The meeting will be held in 2-3 weeks.
f) The meeting agenda, minutes of the previous meetings and notification of opening on the Board & Commissions to be mailed/e-mailed/faxed at least 2 weeks prior to the Scheduled Meeting.
g) Not more than 2 Members of the Board/Commissions to give the status report at any meeting.
h) The Tentative Meetings schedule should be decided at the beginning of the year definitely before the end of January.
Sec. 3) Miscellaneous:
a) The proposed financial commitment will be decided by the executive committee.
b) Any expenditure greater than 20% of the Membership Dues Revenue will need approval of the BOT.
c) The appointees to the Board & Commission should give status report to the Membership/Nominating committee on periodic basis.
d) Any Member can send his/her suggestions to the Chair-person of any Committee. e) Any activity beyond the scope of AIA mission will be approved by the BOT.
Sec. 4) Regions:
a) Each Region must have at least nine active Members to be a viable Region & has its representation.(The BOT can waive the Good-standing clause for this purpose for one time in an Election Cycle)
b) See Appendix -A
Amendment Of The Bylaws
a) The proposed amendments to the By-Laws can be initiated by 33.3% of the Membership delivered to the Secretary of AIA.
b) The By-Laws committee will consider Amendments to the By-Laws as per need of the organization.
c) The Executive Committee can recommend Amendments to the By-Laws approved by 60% of the committee members.
d) The Proposed Amendments to the By-Laws will be mailed/e-mailed to the Membership of AIA 30 days prior to the scheduled General Body Meeting.
e) The proposed Amendments shall be approved by at least 75% of the Membership.
Effective Date for these Bylaws:
These Bylaws will be effective 30 (Thirty) days after they are approved by the AIA membership. The amendment to these Bylaws will be effective after approval by the AIA membership.
a) Election of the Board Of Trustees & other officers (As per these Bylaws as per Sec below) will be held at the first general body meeting in 2013.
b) Election of three at large members to the executive committee, One member to the Bylaws committee & one member to the appointment committee.
Nomination Process For Board & Commissions:
The Executive Committee is charged with selection of candidates.
a) Nomination for a particular region should be recommended by the region.
b) Should be a member in good standing for 3 years.
c) Input from the out-going/previous member of the Board/Commission.
d) Consideration should be given for Re-nomination /Extension of Term if this will give recognition to the Community or Award to the serving member on the Board/Commission, or under unusual circumstances.
e) Should fulfill the requirement for the position.
f) No member of the Nominating Committee will be eligible for any Post/Position.
g) To screen the individual applicants and nominate the person most qualified for that particular position.
Process of The Meeting :
Location of the Meeting will be decided by the President.
The minutes of the Previous Meeting should be approved at the Meeting.
Meeting Agenda, Minutes of the previous meeting and Notification of openings on the Board & Commissions to be mailed at least 2 weeks before the scheduled meeting.
Not more than two members of the Board/Commissions to give Status Report.
The Chairperson of By-Laws Committee or his Designee will report of any By-Laws violations.
Roberts-Rules apply at the Meetings.
Elections. Preferably will be held on 2nd Saturday/Sunday of November-January on 3 year cycle basis. The nominating committee will ask for nominations from the membership at least 8 weeks before the election. Nominating committee will complete the Nomination process & e-mail the slate of officers 5 weeks before election day. The membership can nominate candidates as per (article VI-Sec 3-f) up to 3 weeks before the election day. The Nominating committee will confirm the eligibility of the candidates in less than 5days. The Nominating committee will be given a copy of list of Members in Good Standing. Then the list/slate of the candidates will be sent to the membership at least 10 days before the election.
The Absentee ballots will be available 1 week before the elections & must be returned to the election officer at least one day before the elections.(Article VII, Sec 3-i)
The President, the Parliamentarian & the members of the Bylaws committee will help with the Regional elections for the BOT.
|Akron/Canton||Medina, Portage, Stark, Summit, Wayne|
|Cleveland||Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lorain, Lake, Huron|
|Cincinnati||Adams, Brown, Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Gallia, Hamilton, Highland, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Vinton, Warren|
|Columbus||Athens, Delaware, Fairfield, Fayette, Franklin, Clark, Hocking, Licking, Madison, Monroe, Morgan, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pickaway, Washington|
|Dayton||Champaign, Clark, Darke, Greene, Logan, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Preble, Shelby, Union|
|Mid-Ohio||Ashland, Coshocton, Guernsey, Holmes, Knox, Marion, Morrow, Richland, Tuscarawas|
|Toledo||Allen, Auglaize, Crawford, Defiance, Erie, Fulton, Hancock, Hardin, Henry, Lucas, Ottawa, Paulding, Putnam, Sandusky, Seneca, Van Wert, Williams, Wood, Wyandot|
|Youngstown/Warren||Ashtabula, Belmont, Carroll, Columbiana, Harrison, Jefferson, Mahoning, Trumbull|
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_single_image image=”3371″ border_color=”grey” img_link_large=”” img_link_target=”_self” img_size=”716 × 792″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_column_text]